Firecracker injuries down by 89 percent – DoH

There was a significant decline in the number of firecracker-related injuries during revelries to ring in 2021, the Department of Health said.

From December 21, 2020 to January 1, 2021, the DoH reported only 50 firecracker-related injuries, 85 percent lower than the cases reported in the same period in 2020, and 89 percent lower than the five-year average from 2015 to 2019.

Health Secretary Francisco Duque 3rd said the decrease in the number of cases could not be solely attributed to the Coronavirus disease pandemic, but also to the enforcement of a firecracker ban.

“The lower numbers we achieved this year is indeed a welcome development, but we will not stop until we reach zero firework-related injuries,” Duque said.

While there were no deaths caused by firecrackers, a 12-year-old girl in Lanao del Norte was hit by a stray bullet in the head and died, according to Philippine National Police SpokesmanBrig. Gen. Ildebrandi Usana.

Two more victims of stray bullets, a six-year-old boy in Sta. Catalina, Negros Oriental, and a man in Dagupan City, were reported.

Bureau of Fire Protection Spokesperson Superintendent Annalee Atienza said that 29 fires were recorded on New Year’s eve.

Must Read

World lost equivalent of 255 million jobs in 2020: UN

0
  by Nina LARSON Agence France Presse The coronavirus pandemic took a huge toll on global jobs last year, the United Nations said Monday,...