The government is bracing for a possible Covid surge after the holidays, a top official of the Department of Health said on Thursday.
Health Undersecretary Leopoldo Vega, who manages the One Hospital Command Center, said that an increase in coronavirus disease cases had been anticipated, prompting officials to alert all hospitals.
He added that the Department of Budget and Management gave additional funds to the DoH to increase the capacity of public healthcare facilities.
“Karamihan po ng mga retained hospitals, lalung-lalo na dito sa Metro Manila and across the country, nag-increase na ho sila ng mga (Most of our retained hospitals, especially here in Metro Manila and across the country, they have increased their beds from) 50 to 100 beds capable of handling critical and severe (cases),” Vega said.
Experts had warned that Metro Manila may log up to 4,000 cases per day in January if the public will not observe minimum health protocols during the holiday season.