Sanofi appeals Dengvaxia registration as dengue cases spike

mos

French drug maker Sanofi is appealing the revocation of its dengue vaccine’s registration as outbreaks of the mosquito-borne disease hit parts of the country, a health official said Thursday.

The Food and Drug Administration permanently revoked the certificate of product registration of Dengvaxia in February, about a year after Sanofi admitted that the drug can cause more severe symptoms among those who have not had dengue.

Last week, Sanofi sent an application to the Secretary’s Office to request their product registration certificate. There is no action on this yet and the Secretary’s office may still be evaluating it.

For now, Dengvaxia is not available and cannot be used in the Philippines.

Authorities openly disagree about whether Dengvaxia, the first of its kind, could have led to the fatalities of several kids.

Reports of supposed fatalities due to Dengvaxia have created a vaccination scare that resulted in the country’s immunization coverage dropping to 40% last year, from an average of 70% in latest years.

The government recorded 115,986 dengue instances nationwide from January 1 to July 6, about an 85 percent rise from the 57,564 reported last year during the same era, Health Secretary Francisco Duque III said previously.

Presidential spokesman Salvador Panelo stated that the government should consider making Dengvaxia accessible to the public once again if there are enough results to promote its effectiveness and safety.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *