Malacañang admits: Balutan resigned

Malacañang admits: Balutan resigned

Malacañang said former Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO) General Manager Alexander Balutan definitely resigned. Palace spokesperson Salvador Panelo said on Monday Balutan gave his resignation through a letter deferred to the Office of the President (OP).

The spokesman cited Balutan’s “resigned out of delicadeza” over serious accusations of corruption in the charity agency.

“The said written communication was, however, formally received by the OP only after the Palace has already announced his cessation from office,” Panelo in a statement. He also confirmed that Balutan entreated the President to order a fair and impartial enquiry in order to “ferret out the truth.”

Panelo’s recent statement varied from last week that Balutan was discharged due to “serious allegations of corruption.”

In a statement over the weekend, Balutan stated, “If there are accusations of corruption, I beg for a full and impartial investigations.” Balutan earlier said that he would leave if somebody from OP or Congress requests or orders him to do something which “he cannot stomach.”

“[Duterte] retired me early from the Marines to help him run his administration. In silence, I did and I excelled. I did not ask for anything from the President in return. The rest was history,” he added.

PCSO deputy spokesperson Florante Solmerin called out on Balutan’s accusers to verify their claims.

“Those accusing him [of corruption] should really prove it. What’s important here is he has a clear conscience. Whatever they sling unto him, they should prove it. As he said, he is open to an investigation, anytime, anywhere,” Solmerin further elaborated.

“These are merely serious allegations, allegations of serious corruption. Balutan said he is open to a full investigation to ferret out the truth so the truth will come out,” he added.

In the previous year, Balutan had a falling-out with PCSO board member Sandra Cam, who suspected him of spending P10 million for a Christmas party in a five-star hotel in December 2017.

Balutan denied the claim saying the party only had a budget of P6 million.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *