Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana said Wednesday that he had already sent a request to the President’s Office that martial law should no longer be imposed in Mindanao.
Lorenzana said he personally believes that the security forces have achieved their objective of securing the region, noting that the non-extension of military rule in Mindanao is also good for business.
The whole Mindanao was put under martial law after the ISIS-inspired Maute group attacked Marawi City in May 2017.
It was intended to last only 60 days, but President Rodrigo Duterte asked Congress to prolong this three times. It is scheduled to end on 31 December 2019.