Business

Latest offers on goods and services, business advice, tips, resources and trending stories brought to you by Filipino Live

New Olympic dateGames now happening from July 23 to Aug. 8, 2021

REUTERS/DENIS BALIBOUSE/FILE PHOTO

TOKYO — The postponed Olympic Games will now begin on July 23 next year and run until Aug. 8, the head of the Tokyo 2020 organizing committee said on Monday, as the coronavirus pandemic made it impossible to plan and prepare for them properly this year.
The Games were postponed last week — the first such delay in the 124-year history of the modern Olympics. The move was a huge blow for Japan, which invested $13 billion in the run-up to the event and raised $3 billion from domestic sponsors.
Yoshiro Mori, the head of the Tokyo 2020 organizing committee, confirmed the new dates after he made the decision with the International Olympic Committee. Mori said the Paralympic Games would run from Aug. 24–Sept. 5.
“The Tokyo Olympics Games and the successful delivery of these Games will be how we overcome all the problems that the world is facing and that the Olympics could be a symbol for this,” Mori said. “These Games are going to have great historical significance.”
Earlier on Monday, the Games’ chief executive, Toshiro Muto, said the committee was moving “in the direction” of honoring tickets bought for the 2020 Games at the rescheduled event, or providing refunds in case of scheduling changes.
“We want to honor the hopes of all those who purchased the tickets amid high demand,” Muto told a news conference.

It was too early to say what the additional costs of the delay would be, Muto said.
The IOC and Japanese government succumbed to intense pressure from athletes and sporting bodies around the world last Tuesday by agreeing to push back the Games because of the coronavirus pandemic.
The pandemic had already led to many sporting events around the world being delayed or canceled. After weeks of insisting the Olympics would go ahead, organizers bowed to what many said was the inevitable and delayed what is the world’s premier sporting gathering.
Sporting bodies including the World Athletics association, the International Triathlon Union, and FINA, the international swimming federation, all followed up with statements of support for the delay.
The postponement “gives our athletes the time they need to get back into training and competition,” World Athletics said. The association is also working on new dates in 2022 for the World Athletics Championships, it said.
The Athletics and Swimming world championships were scheduled to take place next summer around the new Olympics dates, presenting organizers with potential clashes in timing.
And problems have already arisen in planning for venues for next year, although organizers have yet to be told that they cannot use any facilities, Muto said at the news conference announcing the new date.
The Tokyo 2020 Olympics must acknowledge the coronavirus crisis which forced their postponement and incorporate it into next year’s opening ceremony, executive producer Marco Balich told Reuters from his home in Milan.
More than 720,000 people have been infected around the world with about 34,000 deaths and governments are taking ever tougher measures such as lockdowns to try to halt the outbreak and support overburdened medical infrastructure. — Reuters

Mark Magsayo excited to turn a new leaf with MP Promotions

Undefeated Filipino boxer Mark Magsayo sees better opportunities now that he is with MP Promotions. — ALVIN S. GO

By Michael Angelo S. MurilloSenior Reporter
HAD HIS flourishing boxing career halted at one point for a year and a half because of contract dispute with his former handlers, undefeated Filipino boxer Mark “Magnifico” Magsayo is now excited to turn a new leaf after signing a deal to be part of MP Promotions last month.
Mr. Magsayo, 24, and a native of Tagbilaran, Bohol, is now girding to have his career humming anew, banking on the leverage that his newly inked partnership with boxing legend Manny Pacquiao and his group would provide.
“I am really excited and thankful for this opportunity that was given to me by my idol Manny (Pacquiao) and sir Sean Gibbons. I want to prove I am worthy of this chance. I will do my best,” said Mr. Magsayo (20-0) in an online correspondence.
Under his deal with MP Promotions, Mr. Magsayo gets to secure fights in the United States with top promoters, including Al Haymon’s Premier Boxing Champions promotion which also handles Mr. Pacquiao’s fights.
He hopes that through it his goal of being a world champion is fast-tracked.

Formerly an ALA Promotions stalwart who held World Boxing Organization and International Boxing Federation titles, Mr. Magsayo said he considered other promotions to be part in after his falling out with ALA but decided to go with MP Promotions, seeing the latter as providing better opportunities for him.
Mr. Magsayo made his return to the ring in April last year following a year-and-a-half hiatus stemming from his contract dispute with ALA.
He defeated Indonesian fighter Erick Deztroyer by way of a fourth-round knockout in said fight before winning over Thai Panya Uthok by unanimous decision in August in Bohol to bag the WBC Asia featherweight championship.
“Me and my team considered other promotions as this time we want the best for me and we wanted to be careful with the terms of the contract. It is a big factor especially I look up to Senator Manny a lot since I started boxing. Having several world champions under his wing as well, I wanted to be one of them. That is my dream. I trust idol Manny and sir Sean can lead me to that,” said Mr. Magsayo, who joins world champions Jerwin Ancajas (IBF Super Flyweight World Champion), John Riel Casimero (WBO Bantamweight World Champion) and Pedro Taduran (IBF Minimumweight World Champion) in MP Promotions.
His first fight with his new group was supposedly on May 16 but because of the ongoing coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) it had been moved along with other preparations for it.
“I was supposed to be back in LA (Los Angeles) for camp but now I am running two days on one day off like what Coach Freddie (Roach) told me before I went back here. I do shadow-boxing, skipping rope and sit-ups,” said Mr. Magsayo, who was at the Wild Card Gym in LA early this year.
“I am also careful with my food to make sure my weight doesn’t go up that much,” he added.
The Filipino fighter went on to say that what he had gone through in the last few years is helping him in this time of lull because of COVID-19.
“Mentally, honestly the things that happened to me before are helping me during this time of COVID-19 because I learned how to adapt to situations like this. I just have to keep my focus and my discipline to keep training,” he said.
Mr. Magsayo also encouraged his fellow athletes not to lose hope and keep the faith that everything about COVID-19 will soon end and stay with their training regimen despite the obstacles at hand.
“Make the best out of this situation. Train at home and just keep moving. This is only a trial for us and we can beat it together.”

The Department of Budget and Management (DBM) is preparing to increase the budget for the installation of the 2019 novel coronavirus acute respiratory disease (nCoV) and assistance for the Taal Volcano eruption victims, Speaker Alan Cayetano said Friday.

The Department of Budget and Management (DBM) is preparing to increase the budget for the installation of the 2019 novel coronavirus acute respiratory disease (nCoV) and assistance for the Taal Volcano eruption victims, Speaker Alan Cayetano said Friday. Cayetano, in a statement, said he had obtained such assurance from DBM Chief Wendel Avisado at their meeting. Quezon Representatives Angelina Tan and Albay Rep. Joey Salceda are seeking an additional P2-billion

Philippine peso

The Philippine peso retreated on Thursday against the US dollar as market players were risk-averse amid fears of the novel coronavirus (n-CoV) spreading potential. The local currency lost 7 cents to close Thursday at P50.98:$1 from Wednesday’s P50.91:$1 finish. Therefore, fears about the new coronavirus led partly to an increase in market risk aversion, especially in affected Asian countries, with possible adverse effects on the regional economy and financial markets

Manila Water

Government-authored new water concession agreements have not yet hit Maynilad Water Services Inc. and Manila Water Co. Inc. Last Tuesday, President Rodrigo Duterte offered water companies Maynilad and Manila Water new concession agreements that do not contain provisions that are allegedly detrimental to the government and the public. In the event that Maynilad and Manila Water refuse to accept new agreements, Duterte will order the cancelation of their current water

airport

The Cagayan Economic Zone Authority (CEZA) plans to build a multi-million dollar airport within the free port region itself in a bid to draw more investors and establish a so-called “Asian Crypto Valley.” In 2017, the CEZA unveiled its “Crypto Valley of Asia” project in an attempt to provide blockchain developers and cryptocurrency exchange operators with a stable and safe area to house their back-office support infrastructure. The free port

Higher Grab

Ride-hailing service Grab is likely to charge cheaper fares in February due to the expected decrease in demand after the holiday season, said its president on Thursday. Advertisement Grab Philippines President Brian Cu said that an explosion of passengers booking on their app was observed in December 2019, which contributed to a recent surge in their fare. The higher the number of people booking the spike went up. If the

(PCC)

Senator Sherwin Gatchalian urged the Philippine Competition Commission (PCC) on Saturday to impose tougher penalties on Grab Philippines for its alleged repeated infringements of the country’s competition rules since Uber’s departure in 2018. Announcement Previously, the PCC penalized Grab for violating the price and quality of service agreements for more than a year. After Grab’s acquisition of Uber’s Southeast Asia operations in 2018, Grab was fined by the PCC for

water companies

The Metropolitan Waterworks and Sewerage System (MWSS) said it is using all the necessary means with Manila Water Company Inc. and Maynilad Water Services Inc. to develop a new 15-year concession contract to 2037. The DOJ plans to finalize its new concession agreements with Manila Water and Maynilad by the end of December. Earlier this month, in the 1997 government concession agreements with Maynilad and Manila Water, the Department of

foreign investors

The Duterte administration is looking for foreign investors who care about social responsibility, Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra said on the heels of Vice President Leni Robredo’s statement that the study of water concession deals by the government could scare off foreign investors. Robredo called for a careful review of the government’s concession deals with Maynilad and Manila Water on Sunday to protect the economy from “collateral damage.” The Vice President