Binondo Warning Amidst the Coronavirus

Binondo

The district of Binondo in Manila is beginning to be cautious in preventing the possible entry of coronavirus especially in the light of the Chinese New Year festivities on January 25.

Because many people are expected to be trooping on the streets during the celebration, barangay officials are aware that transmission of the virus is very likely in this area.

As a preventive measure, Johnny Sy, chairman of Barangay 297, has advised the public not to go out and take part in the occasion if he or she does not feel well.

Barangay 298 chairman Jeric Tee said the residents have not yet been frightened by the coronavirus — a new strain of which 17 have already been killed in China — so far, but officials are still one step ahead.

Customers too aren’t concerned about coronavirus, according to a travel agency in Binondo. In fact, it said, only one person had asked if a ban on travel to China exists. No reservation has been canceled recently as well.

The travel agency also noted that, among Chinese tourists, Binondo — also known as Manila’s Chinatown — is not a common destination.

World Health Organization Country Representative Rabindra Abeyasinghe said of 222 confirmed novel coronavirus cases, 218 are from China and four are from Thailand, Japan, and South Korea.

After showing flu-like symptoms, a five-year-old Chinese child who arrived in Cebu from Wuhan, China is being investigated by the Department of Health. The new coronavirus strain, previously unexplained in humans, broke out in Wuhan on 31 December 2019.

Several Philippine airports tightened medical quarantine procedures to prevent the virus from entering and spreading.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *